Our Aims at DPS STS School Dhaka
At DPS STS School, we aim at a vigorous pursuit of excellence in academic, co¬curricular activities, games and sports and character-building by providing an all-round, meaningful and liberal education. Our objectives are:
- To recognize and to encourage talents of all kinds and of all degrees, and to endeavour to stretch the intellectual and creative capacity of individuals.
- To develop fluency in the use of language, and to foster enjoyment of all the processes of communication: oral, written and visual.
- In so far as it lies within the resources of the School, to illustrate the inter¬relationship of all human knowledge, to foster an appreciation of man's creative skills, and to stimulate a conception of learning as a lifelong process.
- Since it is impossible for a school to cover the whole realm of knowledge one has to be vigorously selective in material presented to children, but we pay particular attention to:
Stimulating intellectual curiosity
Directing and exercising the emotions; encouraging clear thinking and discrimination; developing an interest in the processes and resources of learning
Fostering a capacity to tackle a problem and to follow and sustain an argument and emphasizing the difference between truth and falsehood, and between fact and feeling.
- To enable children to acquire the tools and qualifications necessary for earning their living and, when appropriate, for entry into skilled occupations and professions.
- To seek to measure the extent of an individual's success in making maximum use of his endowments and opportunities.
- To develop in the School, a caring community, exercising concern and respect for the welfare of others, and emphasizing the overriding importance of good human relations, based upon sensitivity, tolerance and goodwill.
- To encourage an attitude of positive response to the persistent demands of a changing society, yet, firmly upholding a belief in basic values and standards.
- To encourage children to appreciate the virtues of collaboration, to foster habits of responsibility and self-discipline, and to promote initiative, endeavour and the exercise of individual judgment.
- To place the School at the service of the community, and to accept its appropriate share of responsibility for equipping each child to find his own niche in his occupation and in society.
MEMO FROM A CHILD TO PARENTS, TEACHERS
- Don’t Spoil Me. I Know Quite Well That I Ought Not To Have All That I Ask For- I’m Only Testing You.
- Don’t Be Afraid To Be Firm With Me. I Prefer It, It Makes Me Feel Secure.
- Don’t Let Me Form Bad Habits. I Have To Rely On You To Detect Them In The Early Stages.
- Don’t Make Me Feel Smaller Than I Am. It Only Makes Me Behave Stupidly Big.
- Don’t Correct Me In Front Of Other People. I’ll Take Much More Notice If You Talk Quietly with Me in Private.
- Don’t Make Me Feel My Mistakes Are Sins. It Upsets My Sense Of Values.
- Don’t Protect Me From Consequences. I Need To Learn The Painful Way Sometimes.
- Don’t Take Too Much Notice Of My Small Ailments. Sometimes They Get Me The Attention I Need.
- Don’t Nag. If You Do, I Shall Have To Appear Deaf.
- Don’t Forget That I Cannot Explain Myself As Well As I Should Like. That Is Why I Am Not Always Accurate.
- Don’t Put Me Off When I Ask Questions. If You Do, You Will Find That I Stop Asking And Seek Information Elsewhere...
- Don’t Be Inconsistent. That Completely Confuses Me And Makes Me Lose Faith In You.
- Don’t Tell Me My Fears Are Silly. They Are Terribly Real And You Can Do Much To Reassure Me If You Try To Understand.
- Don’t Ever Suggest That You Are Perfect Or Infallible. It Gives Me A Great Shock When I Discover That You Are Neither.
- Don’t Ever Think That It Is Beneath Your Dignity To Apologize To Me. An Apology Makes Me Feel Warm Towards You.
- Don’t Forget How Quickly I Am Growing. It Must Be Very Difficult For You To Keep Pace With Me. But Please Try.
- Don’t Forget That I Don’t Thrive Without Lots Of Love And Understanding, But I Don’t Need To Tell You, Do I?
- Please Keep Yourself Fit and Healthy. I Need You.